Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- A zesty chicken dish with fresh ingredients and Emeril's touch.
- 4 lb whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tbsp Emeril’s® Original Essence
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, plus an additional 1/3 c
- 1/2 cup flour, reserve an additional 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 3 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 cup Emeril’s® Organic Chicken Stock
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken all over with 1 tablespoon Emeril’s Original Essence, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup of the flour, ½ teaspoon Essence, paprika and rosemary.
- Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 10- to 12-inch flameproof casserole or sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken pieces skin side down in the pan and cook until nicely browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan and place in the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes. In a 1-quart saucepan or larger, combine remaining 1/3 cup lemon juice, chicken stock, honey, soy sauce and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Set over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, make a paste with remaining 2 tablespoons of flour and the butter.
- Whisk the butter-flour mixture into the lemon chicken broth and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute longer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and pour the lemon sauce over the chicken. Return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until the thighs register 165 degrees when tested with a meat thermometer.
- Remove chicken from the oven and transfer pieces to a serving platter.
- Spoon the sauce, onions and garlic into the bowl of a blender. Puree for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a gravy boat for serving or spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken.